Monday, December 08, 2008

Totomai

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Totomai

Fantasy
fantasy by totomai
This is my favorite candid shot. Taken during a street parade in Kawasaki, Japan. I thought I captured the mood, the colors and the composition the way I imagined it.

Vocation
vocation by totomai
Aside from the fact that I am fascinated with monks, my favorite photography subject is “From Behind” shots. I find it more intriguing and dramatic to visualize what’s on the other side. This was taken in Bangkok, Thailand.

1) How long have you been involved in photography?

I think I got interested in photography around 2006, if my memory is correct.

2) Equipment you use?

I started with Casey, my Casio EX-Z40 point and shoot camera.
A year after I had Nikki, my Nikon D80. My lenses are 18-200mm VR, 50mm 1.8f and 105mm 2.8f

3) Mac or PC?

Its PC for me.

4) What inspires you?

Anything. Anyone. Anywhere. I always believe that there are uniqueness in each particular subject waiting to be discovered and captured.

5) Preferred subject matter?

From Behind Shots. I’m a coward, lol. But seriously, I really like taking shots from behind. For me, it tells a lot and could spark off the imagination of the viewer.

Candid and Portrait Shots. I am trying different approaches on these two subjects. Its only recently I got interested on these. I hope I can improve with regards to these.

6) Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.

This is a tricky one. But since I am in Japan now, I think, the Diamond Fuji phenomenon. It’s a rare phenomenon that’s happening twice a year only.

7) When in doubt about your art, who do you confide in?

My friends give an advice or two if I ask for some. And I appreciate every suggested idea. But at the end of the day, I am still the one who will assess and finalize my work of art.

8) Qualifications/training in anything? ie: Photoshop

Zero training when it comes to photography. Though I am trying to learn via trial and error processes.

9) Plans for the future?

I will never stop clicking my camera as long as I can see subjects worth capturing. I won’t be trading this hobby of mine to anything as this is my only solace when stress and other work-related anxieties come my way, lol.

10) In one word, describe your photography.

Poetic

No comments: