Monday, April 25, 2011

Kala_m

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER: Kala_M

Magnolia Magnificence by Kala_M
This shot is called Magnolia Magnificence
The tones and perspective of this image are very different to most magnolia shots I’ve seen. I like to be surprised by my photographs, and this one did that for me

Punch Drunk Tulip Love by Kala_M
This shot is called Punch Drunk Tulip Love. I’d been shooting only about six months when I captured this image. To this day, I still love the colors, selective focus, and shallow depth of field.

1 Tell us a little about yourself
I’m a fairly private person. I enjoy gardening, reading, hiking in the woods, and spending time with family.

2: How long have you been involved in photography?
About 2 1/2 years ago I started taking a serious interest in photography and bought my first dSLR shortly thereafter. I’d go out with my camera for several hours shooting, come home and upload shots, and then just shake my head! So I took a few classes at a local college to help acquaint myself with the fundamentals.

3: Equipment you use?
I currently shoot with a Canon 450d and use two lenses. One is a 100mm f/2.8 Macro and the other a 50mm 1/.4. I like my primes.

4 Who or what inspires you?
Who inspires me? There are many wonderful photographers here on Flickr as well as on photography sites throughout the Internet. When I have free time, I may spend hours viewing images where I get ideas for subject matter. What inspires me? Nature, first and foremost. Although I do enjoy using the macro lens around my home to explore the extraordinary detail of everyday things, it’s to parks, gardens, and nature preserves that I always return.

5: Preferred subject matter?
I started shooting landscapes last autumn, so right now I’m looking to capture the spring season in all its glory with blooming trees, flowers, and shrubs.

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture
Some of the night shots I’ve seen with festive, colorful bokeh lights I find very appealing.

7 If you weren’t a photographer would you have another artistic pursuit? If so what?
I’m passionate about music, but unfortunately am almost tone deaf, so singing in the shower is really my only option!

8: Do you have any advice for someone just starting their photography journey?
Learn the basics first: exposure, composition, and depth of field. Take classes, read your camera manual. Don’t be afraid of developing your own style and remember not everyone is going to like it.

9: Plans for the future?
Well besides finding new and different ways of looking at the world through my lenses, I started a photography blog a year and a half ago as a fun little way of sharing my photography. To date, A Matter Of How You See It has received close to 90,000 views and over 11,000 comments. As a result, I’ve had a number of inquiries about purchasing my work, so I’m looking to set up a venue for that.

10: In one word, describe your photography.
Ethereal

No comments: