Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sma_Kee

FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER:Sma_kee!

 hot tea and broken umbrellas by sma_kee
I would say this photo is quite representative of my work (actually, I wouldn't even call it work at all, but well.. ). I have been playing with self portraits lately and with diptychs or other kinds of collages, I think they make it easier to show a certain feeling or emotion. It's a game, an exercise of esthetics, but in the same time the feeling of freedom of choice. This particular one tells the story of the rain in Brussels, where I've lived in the past year and which I got to love and now, since I left, to miss

2011 wishes by sma_kee
What a cliche it is to say I love traveling and I find Paris incredibly romantic! But the truth is I couldn't be more of a dreamer and I couldn't fall more in love with moments and atmospheres that you encounter and you live in certain cities. And well, some cities couldn't be more beautiful.

1 Tell us a little about yourself


I am still discovering myself, I am 23 and studying architecture, looking for means of expression, speaking a lot, trying to keep my life simple but complicating it with every chance I get.

2: How long have you been involved in photography? Photography and I have a strange relationship. I take photos when I try to shut up, I think. It's true that I've been doing it a lot more since I joined flickr, which was 1 year and a half ago.

3: Equipment you use?
 Unfortunately, by now I didn't have funds for getting any professional equipment. I normally use a digital camera, a Pentax X70 (the first "expensive" thing I ever bought myself with my own money, 2 or 3 years ago). Lately, I've been trying my hand (and my eye) at analog photography and I must say I'm liking film more and more!

4 Who or what inspires you?


For "who", I would say my sister. And when it comes to the "what".. I think solitude. Although I'm rarely alone and half the times when I am, I'm hating it.

5: Preferred subject matter?

 As I love traveling, I love taking pictures of what I see in my journeys. This way, I'm making my own memories, choosing what to remember, giving shapes and colors to my future thoughts about those moments. So I photograph streets, windows, light reflections, trees, people, moments, moments, moments..

6: Name one thing you haven't caught with the camera that you REALLY want to capture.


I am completely no good when it comes to night pictures. I have a lot to learn and to practice about it, but at one point, I would really like to be able to photograph the midnight skies in August in the village of my grandparents. They are a dream, a fairytale.

7 If you weren’t a photographer would you have another artistic pursuit? If so what?


I tried dancing and loved it, but lately didn't have anymore time for it.. However, I hope my future career will have as many artistic implications as possible, this is part of why I chose it :)

8: Do you have any advice for someone just starting their photography journey?



Uhmm... I feel like I am just starting it as well.. I would suggest trying to picture your dreams, thinking of things that make you happy and then photograph them again and again until you find the image that resonates with the one you have in your mind about them.

9: Plans for the future?



I am trying not to make plans. I am trying to let life happen to me by itself and to spend my time welcoming it. Most probably, I will be an architect starting next year, I would like to be a good one, but apart from that, who knows? The best things happen unplanned. And this is my super-rational-organized-controlfreak-mind that is speaking!

10: In one word, describe your photography.


I would say "personal". Not private, but personal. As in.. mine, about myself, through my eyes :)

No comments: